An Experienced Employment Discrimination Lawyer in Hazleton
Discrimination, Harassment and Wrongful Termination
Pennsylvania is an at-will employment state, meaning that employers have wide latitude in hiring and firing. However, employees may have grounds to sue if they were singled out on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, ethnicity or religion.
Laputka, Bayless, Ecker & Cohn, PC, maintains a balanced law practice, representing both employees and employers in claims of employment discrimination, sexual harassment or wrongful termination. We pursue justice for job applicants or employees who have been unjustly treated, and we help companies avert, resolve or defend such lawsuits.
What Constitutes Employment Discrimination in Northeastern Pennsylvania?
Based in Hazleton, we handle employment litigation throughout northeastern Pennsylvania. Our extensive case experience covers pursuit and defense of claims involving:
- Discrimination — Under federal and state laws, employers cannot discriminate against employees of a protected class in any aspect of employment: recruitment and hiring, pay and benefits, job assignments, training, advancement, discipline, transfers, layoffs or termination.
- Failure to accommodate — Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, employers are obligated to make reasonable accommodations for a worker with a medical, physical or mental health impairment.
- Sexual harassment — Employees are protected from actions by an owner, supervisor, co-worker or client that constitute harassment. This includes sexual assault, unwanted advances, inappropriate touching, lewd comments, offensive material and other behavior that is threatening, degrading or creates a hostile work environment.
- Wrongful termination — An employee cannot be fired for discriminatory reasons, for taking job-protected leave (FMLA), for filing workers’ compensation claims or for whistleblowing on safety violations or illegal practices.
If you believe you were unjustly and illegally treated by an employer, we can file your claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and represent you in negotiations or litigation. You may be entitled to back pay, “front pay,” and damages for emotional distress and other harms.
Employer Counsel and Representation Are Long-Standing Strengths at Our Firm
Our long-standing law firm provides comprehensive services to businesses of all shapes and sizes. This includes providing proactive counsel to employers focused on avoiding potentially costly litigation for discrimination, harassment or wrongful discharge. Our lawyers assist with:
- Implementing policies, procedures and handbooks
- Responding appropriately to employee complaints
- Discreet settlement of claims against the company
- Vigorous defense of employee lawsuits
- Compliance with the ADA, FMLA or other employment laws
- Making legally informed decisions about terminating, transferring or disciplining a particular employee
Email us or call 570-861-5905 to arrange an informative consultation with our Hazleton employment discrimination attorney. We serve many business and individual clients from Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Allentown and all points between.